Match reports / News / Rugby Union

Lancashire rugby union round up

Photo credit: Alexander P Kapp.

Fylde slumped to a fourth loss in five away games, suffering a comprehensive 19-36 defeat to Rosslyn Park.

They started brightly with Ben Vernon opening the scoring for the visitors. David Fairbrother, back from suspension, made it two tries to none. Greg Smith, in his usual fine form, converted both to give Fylde a 14-0 lead.

A yellow card for fullback Warren Spragg in the 25th minute changed the momentum. Park’s Josh Watkins and Rhys Crane crossed over before the chance to draw level with the visitors was denied after the unusual occurrence of a Fylde player charging down the attempted conversion.

A Smith penalty miss left the half-time score 14-12 to the away team.

Watkins scored his second try for the home side just after the break but Fylde responded through Jack Turley minutes later to cut Rosslyn’s lead to two points.

Rosslyn’s Jamie Harries scored ten minutes from the end, putting the home side up 28-19 after the conversion. Fylde’s ill-discipline compounded their misery further, Park’s Ali Wade racing across as Simon Griffiths and Fairbrother were both sent to the sinbin in the final two minutes.

Meanwhile Preston Grasshoppers were beaten 26-15 by Stourbridge, who ended a run of six successive defeats.

It started out brightly for Hoppers, with Sam Gale going over for the game’s first score. But their opponents responded via Joe Bridger five minutes later. Nevertheless the home side went in at the break with a 10-7 lead.

The Saxons momentarily lead for the first time after the break, Tatenda Mukarati’s try putting Stourbridge 14-10 ahead, but against the run of play Chris Roddy dotted down at the other end to move Hoppers back in front.

However two late tries from Nathan Tilsley and Chris Depper buried the Lightfoot Green club.

The bonus-point win secures the Dudley side’s safety and almost certainly relegates Grasshoppers.

Rossendale have made it ten in a row with a 21-13 win at home over third-placed Hull. It should be enough to secure them a home semi-final in the playoffs.

The hosts opened the scoring with a penalty try after Hull’s scrum-half pulled a driving maul down. Alex Isherwood scored the next and when Steve Nutt converted, he put the home side 14-0 up.

Duncan Tout created the next try but it was Sam Atiola who put his name on the scoresheet. Another Nutt kick through the posts made it a 21-3 half-time score.

The visitors dotted down to put pressure on after the break but Dale, who were reduced to 13 men when George Peel and Jack Ward were sent to the sin bin, held on to secure a 21-13 win.

Next up is a trip to Merseyside to take on Firwood Waterloo before two more games against Huddersfield and Wirral.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s