Football / Match reports

Match report: Wigan 0-1 Bristol City

Wigan are four points from safety.

Aden Flint’s late goal condemned Wigan Athletic to a 1-0 home defeat against Bristol City at the DW Stadium.

Flint proved to be the match-winner with 88 minutes played, bundling home Lee Tomlin’s corner. The result leaves Warren Joyce’s Wigan side adrift in the relegation places, as they battle against the drop.

Following a tight start to the relegation six-pointer, it would be City who had the first sight on goal, though after his mazy run went unchallenged, David Cotterill scooped his wayward drive over the crossbar.

Clear-cut chances were hard to come by in the opening 15 minutes or so, though the visitors were enjoying the better of the play. Matty Taylor climbed above Lewis Buxton to nod Cotterill’s hooked cross from the right over the crossbar, while Tammy Abraham lined up a long-range shot that dipped past Matt Gilks’ post.

When it did arrive, Wigan’s inaugural effort came courtesy of Omar Bogle, but the recent signing from Grimsby Town could only curl over from the edge of the penalty area, having smartly wriggled past Joe Bryan.

David Perkins crashed against the upright and shortly after on the half-hour mark, Bogle was played through on goal down the left by Michael Jacobs’ aerial pass however goalkeeper Frank Fielding thwarted his subsequent attempt.

City were reliant upon Fielding once more when the shot-stopper pushed Gabriel Obertan’s header aside after Callum Connolly’s looping cross had found its way to the Frenchman.

Up the other end, Abraham escaped Wigan’s backline after being threaded through by Tomlin, fortunately for Wigan Gilks was quick off his line to prevent the Chelsea loanee, smothering his close-range shot.

As the second-half got underway, Lee Johnson’s West Country outfit went close through Tomlin who connected with Abraham’s flick on, prior to curling a right-footed shot behind.

Meanwhile skipper Warnock advanced upfield on the left, his cross which was aimed for Bogle was comfortably dealt with by Fielding.

On the hour-mark Bogle did well to hold off his man down the left-flank, using his strength to ascend into the area, where he was once again denied by Fielding’s sprawling stop.

With the clock ticking down, and both strugglers going in search of an elusive winner, substitute Josh Brownhill spurned a guilt-edged chance for the Robins in the final 10 minutes, when he dragged an effort wide from inside the area.

City ramped up the pressure on Wigan, with Callum O’Dowda and Abraham both going close. Their persistence was finally rewarded in the 88th minute when Flint scrambled Tomlin’s corner to divert beyond a helpless Gilks.

Wigan: Gilks, Buxton, Burn, Connolly, Warnock, (McDonald, 86) Perkins, Gilbey (Mandron, 74) Hanson, Jacobs, Obertan (Weir, 68) and Bogle. Subs not used: Evans, Laurent, Colclough and Morgan.

Bristol City: Fielding, Bryan, Flint, O’Neil, Smith, Abraham, Tomlin, Taylor (Wilbraham, 60) Pack (O’Dowda, 71) Cotterill (Brownhill,71) Wright. Subs not used: Reid, Magnusson, Hegeler and Giefer.

Referee: Andy Madley (West Yorkshire)

Attendance: 10, 787 (950)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s