Match reports / Rugby League

Match report: Leigh 30-0 Huddersfield

Leigh are just one point away from equaling their total tally during the 2005 season.

A defensive masterclass from the Centurions helped inflict a second successive defeat for the Giants as the hosts stormed to a 30-0 victory at the Leigh Sports Village.

Ryan Brierley found McGillvary lurking metres from the whitewash but the Giants and England winger was denied by some great defending from the hosts.

The Giants seemed to be in the ascendency from the outset and Brierley kept the pressure on his former employers, forcing a repeat set.

Leroy Cudjoe thought he had broken the deadlock but came up against some more valiant Centurions defence and was subsequently held up over the line.

Within the blink of an eye, Ben Crooks had sent to Adam Higson to dive over and give the Centurions the lead. Reynolds slotted the conversion to put Leigh 6-0 ahead with 13 minutes gone.

Following a dominant opening ten minutes from the visitors, Giants half-back Lee Gaskell almost gifted a try on a plate for Atelea Vea after failing to deal with Reynolds’ kick.

Moments later and McGillvary received the ball once more from Brierley but this time found Matty Dawson in his way, the Centurions winger coming up with a strong challenge to prevent the Giants from registering their first points.

Daniel Smith, introduced off the interchange bench, scuppered a golden opportunity to score Huddersfield’s first try, fumbling Kruise Leeming’s pass mere inches from the whitewash.

The Centurions hadn’t created a massive amount but were the more clinical side, Jamie Acton powering over from close range after a good spot from Eloi Pelissier.

Giants head coach Rick Stone will have demanded his players be more clinical at half-time but that message seemed to have fallen on deaf ears, Ukuma Ta’ai dropping the ball a couple of steps from the line.

Brierley and fellow half-back Danny Brough were the latest to try and get the Giants off the mark, the latter’s kick just rolling out of play before the ex-Leigh back could place a hand on it.

Approaching the last quarter and frustration started to set in for the visitors, Sebastine Ikahihifo appearing to punch Acton. The Leigh forward was also penalized as referee Chris Campbell sent both players to the sin bin.

The Centurions had stopped their opponents from mounting any sort of sustained pressure. Harrison Hansen looked to have consigned the Giants to defeat when he capitalized on Gaskell’s indecisiveness to ground Drinkwater’s kick.

Reynolds added his name to the scoresheet, picking out a good line and scoring another four-pointer with four minutes remaining.

The Giants were caught napping in defence once more, Sam Hopkins diving across underneath the sticks to see the Centurions finish the game 30-0 victors.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s