Match reports / Rugby League

Match report: Warrington 16-38 Wigan

Wire have lost their last three matches against Wigan, including the 2016 Grand Final.

Four tries from Liam Marshall helped Wigan Warriors ease past Warrington Wolves 38-16 at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.

The Warriors started the game brightly as they forced a knock-on from former Warrior Jack Hughes and scored minutes later as Academy product Liam Marshall latched onto a George Williams grubber to score his first try for the club. Morgan Escare’s conversion attempt went just wide of the mark but Wigan were 4-0 up.

Anthony Gelling then scored in the 14th minute following a nice flowing move from Wigan. Earlier in the set, debutant Liam Forsyth made a fine offload to Escaré who went on a 60-metre break before being brought down.

Marshall, who only made his debut last week, went over for his second try when a Sean O’Loughlin 20-yard pass bounced into the arms of the winger who touched down in the corner. Escaré added the extras again from the touchline to make it 16-0.

Shaun Wane’s outfit were running riot in the first-half and were constantly pressing the Warrington line. Liam Farrell steamed onto a flat ball from England star Williams to score in front of the travelling Wigan fans.

The Wolves pulled one back on the brink of half-time as Tom Lineham made a break on halfway before giving it to Kevin Brown who assisted Ryan Atkins, with the centre racing under the posts. Kurt Gidley added the conversion and the score was 20-6 at the interval.

Marshall completed his hat-trick early in the second-half by pouncing on a loose ball to race 70-metres and cross the line. Escare arrowed his conversion over the sticks and Wigan led 26-6 after just 48 minutes.

Minutes after the Marshall try, Forsyth came close to scoring as he latched onto an O’Loughlin kick but the video referee chalked it off due to the ball being grounded on the by-line.

Jack Wells made an appearance off the bench and scored his first four-pointer just two minutes later after storming onto a short ball from Williams to dive over.

Wire showed some fighting spirit with 15 minutes to go as Harvey Livett shipped it to Rhys Evans out wide who crossed. Gidley nailed the conversion to reduce Wigan’s lead to 20 points.

Marshall then grabbed his fourth of the night late on as he received a crisp pass from Willie Isa to finish extremely well in the corner following a 50-metre Gelling break earlier in the set.

Lineham scored a consolation try for Wire with three minutes remaining but the game finished 38-16 to Wigan.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s